Wednesday, April 23, 2008

How To Whip The Competition In Organic Search Results

You know what organic search results are, right? That’s the listing that comes up when a user types in some keywords into google’s search box. It differs from PPC campaigns, such as the intrusive adword ads you see in the sidebar.

Middle last year, I’ve been experimenting with ways to increase clicks on my organic results. This included

- Using startling headlines in the Title Tage

- Using benefit statements in the metatags

- Using directives and imperatives to visit in the body text.

They worked well- but then I discovered something far more powerful by April of 2007. Okay, to begin with, I already rank in the top five for many critical keywords for some of my sites. Key in “maximum persuasion” and you’ll see that one of my sites is number 2. But you know what? Since I’ve applied a special technique, my google organic traffic exploded.

My trick is simple. Use all caps in the Title and Meta Tags.

Check out the organic result in google for “maximum persuasion” Which of the two links invite more clicks?

The first one: http://www.maxpersuasion.com/ or the second one: http://www.xtrememind.com/

Chances are you’d say the second. Not just because I used startling headlines, but also because my text is in all caps.

I’ve measured this quantitatively as well. Weblogs indicate spikes of traffic 3x what it used to be since I implemented the change. Perhaps you want to whip the competition as well? Modify your sites with this recommendation. Let’s see if you can handle the traffic.

No comments: